Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Shchi: Russian/Ukrainian Fresh Cabbage Soup

Last week at our local produce mart Amish grown cabbages were 39¢ a pound. Since the weather was cold, I immediately thought how good cabbage soup would be! I first had cabbage soup made by some Ukrainian friends in college and loved it! It was so tasty, I have to make it every now and then! Not only is it delicious, it is healthy too! I make a big pot and freeze half of it for later.

Ingredients:
1/2 large head cabbage cut into shreds
3 tablespoons butter
1 large chopped onion
3 large carrots, chopped
1-2 celery ribs, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
2 bay leaves
8-10 cups water, or chicken or beef broth, or vegetable stock (I use chicken broth)
2-3 potatoes, (I use yellow skinned potatoes and leave the skins on!), cut into 1 inch cubes
1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh dill for garnish, if desired
Sour cream for garnish

Note: As with most traditional dishes, the recipes vary from cook to cook and from region to region. I never measure exactly on the ingredients. I use what vegetables I have on hand. Some cabbage soup recipes that call for radishes and leeks too!


Preparing all the vegetables takes a little time, but the soup is oh so worth it!

Step 1:
Saute onions, carrots, celery, and garlic in butter until onions are translucent. Mean while, in large pot, bring broth to boil.

Step 2: 
Add sauteed vegetables, potatoes, tomatoes, cabbage, baby leaves, salt and pepper to broth. Simmer for about an hour until potatoes and cabbage are done. Remove bay leaves.

Serve with sour cream and dill for garnish! I like to eat toasted bread with my soup! Hope you enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment